“Inclusive design doesn’t mean you’re designing one thing for all people. It means you’re designing a diversity of ways for people to participate in an experience so that everyone has a sense of belonging.” -Susan Goltsman
Hillsboro is designing a new park in one of the most exciting locations in Hillsboro. Located right between 53rd Avenue Community Park East and the new Hidden Creek Community Center, this park will be a place for everyone to come together. Here, you will be able to participate in all sorts of play, community gathering, and inter-generational experiences. Our primary goal, though, is for you (and everyone else who comes to this new park) to have fun and feel a deep sense of belonging.
53rd Avenue Community Park West will be an inclusive park and playground for all, which means it will be designed for people of all ages, all abilities, all backgrounds, all orientations, and all of the other alls that connect, create, and strengthen our vital Hillsboro community.
- Create an inclusive park
- Embrace the site’s context
- Design a community hub that brings people together and increases the health and happiness of our community
- Provide different and unique experiences throughout the year
- Have the park act as an extension of Hidden Creek Community Center by fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion through programming
- Focus on sustainability in all areas of the park’s development
Hillsboro is committed to making this process as accessible as possible. If there is something we can do to make sure you can be fully informed and involved, please contact project manager Laurie DeVos at Hillsboro Parks and Recreation.
Phone number: 503-615-6508
TIMELINE AND MILESTONES
The following are the main pieces of the design and construction process, each bar is filled to show the progress so far.
Construction begins July 2022.
October 14, 2022